Monday 13 April 2015

Calves and Creole Seasoning

Hi everyone,

How are things?  I'm not sure where today went exactly, although I do seem to have crossed a few things off the 'to do' list.

The day started off with a long walk with the dog and the hoe, cutting burr and camel melons and seeing if there were any new calves. Lovely warm morning.  I headed out for a run about midday - a tapering run of about 11kms. All being well I'll do 7kms on Wednesday, 5kms Friday and 3kms Saturday (I may or may not have a thing with prime numbers).

Hunted for jobs after lunch.  All basically labouring and factory hand work; oh, and one writing content for a bicycle website in California. I dunno - I feel oddly hopeful about the job situation, like something is right around the corner.

Back out with the hoe and the dog about 5pm.  And this time, we found one of the cows cleaning her newborn calf!


The 'cleaning' process, incidentally, is the cow licking the calf clean of amniotic fluid and the like.  It seems to be a big part of how they bond.

Dinner was a case of no repeating yesterday's mistakes. First, I made a bed of peas and corn (canned, I'm afraid) and microwaved it for 8 minutes with a little water and some Crystal Hot Sauce - kind of a high-speed, high-spice smothering.


I took 3 Blue Grenadier fish fillets and wrapped them in tinfoil with some soy sauce and a generous shake of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning



I grilled the tinfoil packet of fish and seasoning in the frying pan for 10 minutes a side, then served the fish on top of the peas and corn.


The ensemble came out great: done this way the spices didn't take over the dish and the fish stayed beautifully moist. Tomorrow I may try cooking bacon in a similar way, only with Creole seasoning and liquid smoke.  Tastes good even now (must ... resist ... urge ... to ... make ... now ...).
 
No especial plans for tomorrow - cycling, looking for a job and writing.  And possibly driving to town for a few groceries.  We'll see how we go.
 
More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment