Friday 6 April 2012

I can post from here!

Hi everyone,

I'm typing this sitting up in bed at my parents' place on my laptop.  Not sure if I'll be able to post it.  I've bought a re-charge for my aircard but it might or might not be able to get a signal out (mobile coverage is not great here).

Not much to update since my last post.  I stopped on the drive down and went for a run around the Tan Track.  Specifically, three laps without stopping or walking.  I haven't worked out the distance yet, but I think it comes to about 10 miles in roughly an hour and 22 minutes (I do actually have that detail in the stopwatch on my ipod but don't feel like getting out of bed to check!  I wouldn't say it was brilliant running.  By the end I'm pretty sure Grace or Rachel could have outrun me!  But I managed not to stop including going up the stretch beside Anderson Street and that counts with me.  Anderson Street, I should add, is a road that rises sharply from the river.  At a guess, it's 250 yards, with a gradient that might be one in three.  But the time you're climbing it for the third time, you need Bruce Springsteen to come up on the playlist!

I did find myself wondering which of the munchkins will go running with Daddy in years to come.  My instinct is Rachel, since she looks like she'll be tall and lean like her nannies who both run.  Grace though looks like she'll be powerful and lean towards the 'field' side of 'track and field', like her Mommy.  Which should please Joni as (I.I.R.C.) she lettered in field at high school. 

The drive down from there was a doddle - the roads almost empty, although there was some rain and lightning about.  I got down just after 7pm.  I had a shower.  Michael was already here; he said Fran went home to their place in Beaconsfield tonight after work.  Dinner was cod in white sauce and broccoli, which Mum always makes on Good Friday (kind of her last vestigial element of religiosity), which is great as it's one of the things she cooks really well.  Everyone including me was leaning towards an early night, although we stayed up long enough to watch a show on the ABC - Mrs Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  It's a local production in the Agatha Christie mold, set in Melbourne in the 1920s.  They've clearly put a massive amount of effort into getting the decor and the locations right, with ads from the time and metal matchbook covers and so on.  There was a fairly unnecessary subplot involving a Catholic girl dating a Protestant boy which seemed like a fairly pointless piece of period detail, and which looked unattractively like the present pointing at the past and snickering.  It was kind of let down by the writing and acting.  In terms of dialogue you were kind of waiting for someone to come out with "Stone the crows" or "Strewth", and most of the male actors seemed to be trying to channel Chips Rafferty or Leonard Teale in appearance and manner.  The only exception to this was Vince Colosimo, although it's hard not to wonder how he'd go if he got to do straight drama instead of always being in a "tough guy" role.  I think he'd be an interesting actor to watch.  Overall, you'd have been fairly impressed if it had been written and performed by the Lower Bullamakanka Dramatic Society.  But the country that came out with Mad Max in cinema and Hey Dad on TV should really be capable of better.

OK, I guess it's time to try and log on and post this, then turn in and see what tomorrow brings.  Hope all your Easters are going well.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment