Wednesday 25 April 2012

Skype and Memories

Hi everyone,

I'm starting this post at midday on the tram to the office.  The logistics of getting to the office from my place while the Anzac day march was underway looked discouraging, so I slept a bit later, skyped with Joni and the girls, watched a bit of the march on TV, read a few things I sourced yesterday and otherwise filled in the morning.

To be honest, the march was kind of disquieting. Melbourne‘s currently in a cold snap and the rain this morning has wavered between drizzling and pounding. It was just kind of disquieting to see so many of the old men walking bare headed through it. I know it‘s pathetic but I kind of worry about that sort of thing.

Still, I always seem to see something new each Anzac day - this year, a group for the WW2 British-Karen alliance from Burma.

It was seriously awesome to skype with Joni and Grace and Rachel. Joni had given each of them one of those jam-and-butter cookies I sent over a little while back, and that meant a lot to me. Although Grace did seem a little unsure about her one, and Rachel was enthusiastically dismantling hers, giving poor Joni a job with the dustbuster. I guess you‘d say it was a vision of "home". Joni and I used to talk about the feeling of home a lot when we were courting. And now, it‘s wherever she and they happen to be.

[Insert an 8 hour gap for me to get to the office, do some stuff, and then come back to the Casa]

As I was saying, we used to talk about "home" a lot when we were courting.  I made her feel like anywhere could be home (she told me) and she made me feel comfortable in my own skin in a way I never had before.  I guess I'm talking in cliches here, but it doesn't mean they're not true.  And I guess that's what makes me miss her and our girls so much.  Once I never thought that my bit of Australia would feel foreign.  And now I don't think it'll ever again feel completely like home.  I miss holding her in the night and drifting off to sleep with her.  I keep going back to a little road trip we made just before I began my current job - a Sunday driving around the Yarra Valley, with the girls in their front-facing car seats for the first time and Alan Jackson and Norah Jones on the speakers, and how at about 5pm, we stopped to let the girls stretch out at a football oval at Croydon.  I love the photo I took of Joni and the girls there in the afternoon light (can't post it for formatting reasons) because I knew how precious that moment was.  I know... I'm rambling... Sorry.  Sometimes when I'm really thinking about that sort of thing, I just drift into memories.

Skype and memories.  That would make a good title for a book, no?

Today wasn't the most productive day I've ever had - kind of struggling to focus but I did at least finish what I set out to so I guess that's something.  Dinner at the office and then out of there at 8:30pm.  Had a look at the website of the firm I'm having a preliminary interview at tomorrow and thought through how to answer the obvious questions.  Feeling OK about it.

I guess I should wind this up and go and have a cleanup and an earlyish night.  Missing my little family like hell tonight.  Well, the sooner I get on and do the things I need to here, the sooner we'll be back together again.  Soon, soon.

Soon.

OK, I should turn in or I'll be rambling again.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment