Wednesday 18 April 2012

Of ups and downs.

Hi everyone,

It‘s really been a day of ups and downs here.  I should have known it‘d be challenging when I woke up and a little voice in my head told me: “enjoy this little post sleep moment of being warm and contented and at peace; hang onto this moment, because this is the best you‘re going to feel for the next 18 hours“.

The voice was right. The day was a frantic slew of action on files, leavened with a couple of cajoling phone calls to other people and a tincture of panic.  This was broken up by a departmental meeting at lunch and half a dozen case reviews in the afternoon.

By 5:30pm I was drained but still had a lot to do, so I called a break, made myself a hot chocolate, and did some other stuff for a bit. Specifically I looked for jobs and did some brief research in the thing I mentioned yesterday. This lead me to formulate a hypothesis that I hadn‘t expected would present itself. I was heartily pleased over this and it gave me a burst of new energy which I translated into absorbing a new file and drafting an overdue defence. I had dinner at the office and got the last tram back here.

Why am I putting all this effort into a job from which I‘m being sacked? Am I dedicated? Too nice a guy? Desperate to have good references? Any suggestions are welcome. Because I suspect the answer is that it‘s because I‘m as dumb as a box of rocks.

Ok, time to sleep.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment