Saturday 6 June 2015

A halfway mark!

Hi everyone,

Those of you who are connected to me in Facebook may remember that this year I set myself the challenge of running the equivalent of the distance from Houston, Texas to Clinton, Connecticutt, a distance of 1914 miles.  I picked the start point because in 2014 I covered the equivalent of the distance from Santa Monica, CA to Houston.  The end was picked because I have an old friend in Clinton CT.  I should add that this virtual run is conceptually routed through Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Vicksburg, as those cities are important to me.

This evening I looked at Dailymile and found that so far this year I've run, cycled, walked, rowed and swum 1028 miles, which puts me about half way.  According to GoogleMaps, this puts me in about the vicinity of Cleveland, TN. I thought it might be nice to learn a bit more about that town.

I read it's Wikipedia entry, but unaccountably failed to take any proper note of its population size.  The weather there seems to be mild - not unlike southern Victoria's climate.  And the architecture seems beautifully old-world.

File:Craigmiles hall.jpg
Craigmiles Hall

By all accounts it has a very strong high school football program.  I also looked at their newspaper online (the Cleveland Daily Banner) and was struck that their town council faces same type of issues that councils all over the world face: libraries and water, for two.

It seems like it'd be a nice town, and I'm wondering what the next will be that I virtually explore.  If I cover the whole distance before years end, I've decided to tack on another 300-odd kilometres to get me (on paper) up to Maine, where another good friend lives (Pam, who runs the delightful blog Heirlooms Reunited).

What about you, readers: do any of you know any particular landmarks I should keep an eye out for on this virtual odyssey?  Would love to hear suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment