Sunday 28 June 2015

Skype and a long run

Hi everyone,

It's been a full day here.  I need to go to a pre-work thing tomorrow, so I'm going to type this now and then sleep.

I was up at a reasonable hour this time and as the first order of business for the day, fed the bull his usual mix on grain and cornmeal.  It was too cold this morning to even attempt to pour molasses out for him.


I should say that the drums of cornmeal and grain are kept in the shearing shed.  As we're never likely to have sheep on the place, the shed has become a bit of a general storeshed.


I still come in quite often though, and imagine the thousands of sheep that must have passed though, and wonder how many pounds of gorgeous golden fleece they yielded up.


I had a nice long Skype-date scheduled for the morning and the girls were in fine form: chatty and playing and especially loving a puppy-fashion-show-cum-race game they've invented.  They're so beautiful, and I'm incredibly proud to be their dad!

Barry stopped by just before lunch with the carcass of a young deer plus the back leg of an older deer that he'd shot.  We skin and broke them up, and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the Cajun recipes for venison I have lying about!


Back over to Michael's place after lunch go finish putting the yards up.  Oddly, he and Fran weren't bickering as much as usual. Doubt they'll get back together; I'm just glad for the pressure being down a bit.


I decided to bale out of the car on the way back and run the 12.6kms from the irrigation channel to home.  It's a pretty flat, almost straight run, and I covered it in 1:11:45.  Pleased with that: the average is under 6 mins/km and sets me up well for half marathon training.


I had one especially good moment, as I was running towards a steadily darkening horizon, and my playlist threw up Take the Money and Run.  It just seemed to fit, and to make me want to give all my energy to the run.


Which brings me to now.  As I said, an early start tomorrow.  Hopefully the rest of the week is straightforward!

No comments:

Post a Comment