Saturday 20 June 2015

Education re education

Hi everyone,

It's been a good day over here. I was up early to drive over to Benalla for an SES course in acting as a Community Education Facilitator - so, someone who can take a lead in educating community groups about flooding and disaster preparation, arrange and conduct doorknocks, and otherwise generally help the public to handle disasters better.  It'll certainly make me a better volunteer and the skills are highly transferrable, do everybody wins.  As an added bonus, the course was taught by Sue, the wife of Ian who I shared the motel rom with on the NSW deployment.  He sent his greetings, and it felt great to know I have friends in the service!

The course was quite an intense one, and maybe had a little more material than could comfortably be covered in a single day.  But, I got a lot out of it and I'm looking forward to doing the two practical assessments we've been asked to do.

I should say that we touched on the use of the Service mascot, Paddy the Platypus. Someone had got the mascot suit out, I guess in case it was significant. I'm not sure if it was intended, but to me Paddy looked like he was sulking!


After training finished, I stopped in at the Anytime Fitness in Benalla for a quick workout to counteract the lot of food I'd eaten during training.  Benalla is quite a bit smaller a gym than the one in Shepparton, and not quite as well equipped, but very clean and warm.  I must remember it next time I go over there for SES.


After I'd got a workout in, I stopped for fuel and at the supermarket.  It's the old boy's birthday today, but I was honestly stumped for a present for him.  In the absence of any ideas, I stopped and at least got him a cake (chocolate mud cake if you're wondering).  He was actually dead pleased by this, so I'm calling it a win!


Not much else to report.  Getting a somewhat early night tonight.  Hope you're all doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment