Friday 12 June 2015

From a chilly start

Hi everyone,

After a ferocious workout at the gym yesterday evening I slept incredibly well last night.  I should say that I was in no hurry to get underway this morning for very practical reasons -

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2d/b5/db/2db5db637dff9d2ce8eb15507cfb37e3.jpg

Nonetheless, I got underway and after breakfast the dog and I headed out to look over the fences, feeders and cattle.  I forgot to turn on Pacer before we headed off, so I have guess how far we walked based on time. I should say about 12 kms.  Anyway, all was well and the stock were all fine. Feeders are half full which is ok for the moment.

I set out another mix of salt, minavit and molasses for the cattle through the morning.  I'm astonished to report that the dog has found a way of getting at the molasses without getting covered in it: he turns his head on its side and licks the tap of the drum where it drains into the bucket.  He doesn't get his muzzle nearer the stream than he absolutely has to.  Smart dog!  I can confirm that the cattle were thrilled to have their sticky, salty treat back again - this one was enjoying it a few moments before I photographed her.


As neither Michael nor the old boy had yet showed up, and I had no particular chores to do, I spent a couple of hours wading through and deleting emails and generally doing digital upkeep, then took the dog for another walk.  This time it was through a patch of ground the previous owners optimistically called the 'nature reserve'. Usually it's not worth going into: mostly it's boggy and waterlogged in winter and full of snakes in summer.  However, because it's so dry at present there was no reason not to go in and let the dog explore somewhere new.


The dog was thrilled when we were through the gate (one of the old 'Sunshine' brand made in the 1920s by HV McKay Pty Ltd).  Almost immediately he began tearing around like a mad thing.  I saw a couple of rabbits and kangaroos in there and no doubt he could smell their trails.


There were a few heaps of old timber and cases in there in heaps as if for burning.  Most of it was simple trash, although I was struck by an old Bryant & May packing case someone had converted into a cupboard.  I may go down tomorrow and prize the boards off as a decorate feature


By the time we got back both Michael and the old boy had lobbed up, and we attended to a few trifling chores. The day was getting on by then, and I snapped a rather pretty sunset shot while running water into the bull's trough


Another chilly night tonight. Hopefully I'll get out for a run tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment