Thursday 4 June 2015

Poor planning...

Hi everyone,

Last night, mercifully, wasn't as cold as the weather bureau had prognosticated, but it was still cold enough to make getting out of bed a not at all attractive prospect.  Despite which, up I got and off I went to work.  I'm convinced going through Toolamba is quicker than going through Murchison.

Today was the farewell lunch for the lady whose maternity leave I'm covering for.  For some reason it was arranged for 11:30am at the Tatura Hotel - I'm not sure why.  The pub itself is clean although one of the bars smelled funny.  I can recommend the Caesar salad, if you're wondering.


I kept my conversation limited at lunch.  I'm finding taciturnity suits me: the happy, chirpy, chatty version of me tends to be annoying and a lightweight, I think. I'd sooner coworkers thought of me as reserved and serious (even sombre) rather than an airhead.

Lots of handover training in the afternoon: I think I might even be able to master some of these skills!

SES training in the evening, and a moment of poor, poor planning. I'd remembered to bring my overalls, boots and helmet. That was fine. What I forgot was to bring some jeans and a pullover to wear underneath (in place of my suit, which I can't really wear to do physical work.  As a result, there I was on a cold night, stomping around the shed doing crush-rescue training, with nothing underneath but my cotton office shirt and my boxers.  Yeah: chilly!

Still cold tonight: I've put another blanket on the bed.  Hopefully this pocket of icy air moves away soon!

No more for now.  Work tomorrow, followed by a long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment