Monday 8 June 2015

Ora et Labora

Hi everyone,

It's been a beautiful day here - sunny and warm enough for me to be working in a shirt for most of it.

The day got underway, as usual, with feeding Bluechip the Bull.  I'm pleased to report that he no longer had hay and molasses stuck to his face!  After getting that attended to I pulled a tyre off the car. The old boy wanted to tinker with the brake drum, so I left him to it so I could go have a skypedate with my girls.  They're as clever and smart as ever and loving summer.  I'm so glad they're happy!


The old boy was still feeling a bit run down (thank God he's swallowed his pride agreed to see the doctor tomorrow) and so he didn't feel like doing too much after we'd attended to one critical job: bringing a water trough up from a patch of bushland on the place.

Since I had some time on my hands, I decided to put a layer of old, rather ratty hay that I swept off one of the trucks into the compost bin.  Then, I went down the paddock with a barrow and spade and brought back a load of manure, most of which I put in the two active compost bins.

Classy or what?

I then picked up a small load of broken up hay and straw from the feed storage and put that in the bin on top of the manure to soak up the smell.


Once that was done, I decided I might as well get on and get the unsown triticale out of the seeder and store it in a drum in the shearing shed, whence it can be used for stock feed.


To make it an exercise thing I decided to move it using the barrow instead of a trailer or the loader.


Ultimately it took a little over 5 barrow loads to get it all out.  As I shovelled, walked and shovelled again, I worked my way through most of a rosary.  I haven't said one of them in years.  Work and pray; pray and work.

No more for now: very tired and I have work tomorrow. Hope your day is going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment