Wednesday 16 May 2012

A Time to Breakdance

Hi Everyone,

A week or two ago I looked at my diary and winced and put up a Facebook posting saying "ugh: today‘s going to be a beatdown". In response, one of my oldest oldest friends commented with "what are you waiting for? Put down some cardboard and start breakdancing!".

He was right!

Today, you may have guessed, was a beatdown. You know those moments when you open a file or get a phonecall and your stomach drops away and you have to say to yourself "I mustn't panic. And I mustn't let my boss panic before I've had a chance to explain how this can all be fixed"? Well, I had about 4 of those moments today. As well as several fairly scary case reviews with my boss, a court appearance and a peer review with one of the lawyers from The Client. I ended the day feeling utterly crummy and like I'd tried to go ten rounds with a circular saw.

But here's the thing: usually that sort of day should have left me in a state of soul-desiccating depression and blue as hell.  Or at the least I'd be wanting someone to seek consolation (absolution?) from.  But did it?  Nup!  Don't misunderstand me: I did feel like I'd been run over by a couple of bulldozers.  If I hadn't needed to work this evening I would have chucked it in and come back here and gone running or hit a bottle of wine (or both).  But after an hour or two of downtime and reading the paper and so on, my brain and my morale had bounced back and I felt pretty good and ready to keep going and be productive and effective and hammer out a (rather overdue) advice.

So, yeah, not exactly breakdancing.  But handling a hefty set of bumps in the road much better than I'd ever have thought I would.  I'm pretty pleased with that.

Oh, and I have a second interview for the job I interviewed for yesterday tomorrow (viz, Thursday).  Wish me luck. I've done some more research on the company and (while I'm not counting my chickens or anything) I'm feeling pretty positive about it.

OK, I guess that's it for now.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment