Sunday 6 May 2012

Hi everyone,

It's late Sunday night. I'm back in Brunswick as I rattle this off.

Sorry I've not posted for a few days.  To recap, on Thursday night I found I actually wasn't on the list for the work networking function so I had the evening free.  I was in need of a fresh perspective and a dose of endorphins so I went for another run to St Marys and back.  Came back to the casa, showered and cooked the last two kangaroo burgers.  I intended to pan fry them, but I found a lidded saucepan and decided to smother them instead in a gravy of soy sauce, red wine, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, chilli, garlic powder and onion.  Was it good?  It was incredible!

Friday was a bit of a misfire.  I spent the morning doing some career-review stuff including the Myers-Briggs personality test (I discovered I'm an INFJ type, which was accurate but about which I have rather mixed feelings).  Caught up on certain backlog jobs in the afternoon.  In the evening I drove down to the parents' place.  I stopped on the way to go for a run around the Tan Track.  I'd originally only intended to do two laps, which became three, and because I was still feeling pretty good I went for a fourth!  That came to a bit over 15 kms or just shy of ten miles!!!  I felt pretty good about that I have to say.  I got down here about midnight and had a shower and turned in.

We didn't do a great deal yesterday.  The rain set in and as they've had nearly 4 inches in the last fortnight or so it was impossible to move any of the gear without cutting the ground up fearfully.  I sent off a bundle of job applications, some of which are out of my league but worth a look.  Early night.

Today was more active.  Sent off a job application which Jennie provided some very helpful comments for.  Fed the calves that mum and dad are bottle rearing and did some work on the crush over at the yards which is stuck.  Weather very cool.  Brought a couple of barrow loads of firewood up to the house.

Haven't been able to skype with Joni and girls as they're in N.O. for the weekend at Jazzfest.  Facebook tells me that they've had a great time and caught up with some folks there, so that's good.  Oh well - next weekend or maybe through the week.  We'll see.

Seeing the parents was good, although Mum seems just the slighest bit vague.  Nothing you could put your finger on, just the slighest bit not quite there every now and again.  She dropped a few comments about how I should go into general practice in Shepparton or Euroa as my current employer is letting me go.  I couldn't tell if she was serious or joking so I batted it away and didn't say anything along the lines of "Joni? Girls? America?".  I'll have a chat with Fran and see if she has any views, or if there's something I'm missing.  Hmm.  I'm not sure whether I should read anything into it, but this evening she did make chocolate pudding - one of my absolute favourite childhood treats.  Not sure if there's something to be read into that.

OK: I guess that's it.  I'll try and post again before I turn in tonight.

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Kangaroo burgers? Really???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! You can buy kangaroo meat in the supermarkets here. It's actually usually markedly cheaper than beef, but often tends to be a little tougher and without quite as much flavour. Joni tells me it's for all the world like deer meat. I feel a little bad about eating the national emblem, but it seems to me that if God hadn't meant us to eat kangaroos He wouldn't have made them of meat!

      Delete