Saturday 31 March 2012

Blaming Bruce and Tom.

Hi everyone,

Well, it's surely been an "everything's coming up Milhouse" kind of day!  Because last night was a late one, I slept till about 9:00am.  I got up and had a fairly productive morning.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to skype with Joni and the girls.I think she and they had dinner plans that were butting up against the girls' bedtime.  We'll see if tomorrow works better

First order for the day was to rattle off a list of stuff to attend to (pictured).
 


And as they sky outside was clouding over, grab a picture of the view from my window (pictured).



I filled in the balance of the morning doing a couple of loads of laundry, rattling off a few aerogrammes and attending to some other stuff.  Lunch was a combination of lunch and the breakfast I hadn't had: I put some olive oil in a pan and fried the two halves of a one of the rolls I bought last weekend, then also fried up some mortadella and an egg, and applied suitable mustard, tomato sauce, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.  It felt like a choir of breakfast angels was singing inside my mouth!!!

After lunch I headed down to the office to do an online Continuing Legal Education point.  The getting one's points for the year expires tonight, and I had to get my last point in!  So yay: I get to keep my practising certificate!  I tried in a plodding fashion to get some file work done with limited success.  Really was having a struggle to focus, I'm afraid.  And then at about 8pm, building services came round to turn off all the lights for Earth Hour.  So, they made it clear they'd be a lot happier if I turned my lights and computer off and left.  So I did.  I'm conflicted: the hippies got me an evening off!  I had my running gear with me, so I decided to go down to St Kilda and go for a run along the bayside there.  It's a great place to go running, with the salt air in your lungs, and almost no hills, and you feel like you can just go, and go, and go.  I took a couple of pictures from my starting point.  Sorry for the crummy quality.








It was a good run - from the South Melbourne Surf Life Saving Club to Riva (a seaside restaurant down the bayside) and back, a distance of 6 miles which I managed to do in 1 hour 7 minutes.  By the end, I was kind of struggling along, not running so brilliantly, until some of the newer items I'd added to my running playlist came up - Bruce Springsteen's "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." and Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream".  It's physically impossible to shuffle to those tracks, and almost involuntarily I found my knees coming up and my pace quickening, and I ran right past my car and kept going another half mile or so, which is why South Melb Life Saving Club is one of the end points, and which might explain the pain in my knees right now.  It's the fault of Bruce and Tom!  But, I made good time, and hopefully I'll begin to look a little less like this guy -






I drove back to the casa and made dinner.  I accidentally left my dinner fixings at the office, so I made another mortadella-and-egg-in-olive-oil roll.  I was still a bit hungry, so by way of experiment I made up a crude dough out of flour and oats and water and made half a dozen little patties about a third the size of your palm and fried them in the pan with the remaining olive oil.  They came out surprisingly well - kind of like a dense, oaten hush puppy.  I spent a while chatting to one of the new housemates, a lady from Albury.  It turns out we have a few friends in common up there.  Small world!!  Then, I came up here and flipped on the TV.  I meant to blog but got distracted by a Norwegian zombie movie called Dead Snow.  I kind of wonder what the future is of zombie movies as a genre.  They do tend to be very much the same (small team of people must hold out against an army of the shambling cannibalistic corpses), and they seem to have reached a point where they're almost inescapably comical, such that tonight's film - which was very splatter-heavy - was also (probably unintentionally) kind of funny.  It was just a bit hard to tell where it was different on the horror-comedy spectrum from (say) Shaun of the Dead.

Drat.  There was something else I was going to write about but I can't remember what it was.  I guess I'll do it tomorrow then.

Bedtime!

See you tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment