Wednesday 28 March 2012

W.T.F. just happened?

Hi everyone,

Not one of my better days today.

So that matter I‘ve been running in the Magistrates Court got underway for a third day, with counsel desperate to settle and me keen to fight. It began pretty well, with the worker‘s GP giving fairly unimpressive evidence. There were then some murmurings about settlement, but as things were going well, I directed our barrister to keep going and we‘d look at offers after our first witness - a medicolegal examiner- had given evidence. After all, he couldn‘t do our case any real damage, could he?

Yes.

Yes he could.

He adopted his two (very helpful) reports for us as his evidence in chief. Under cross-examination, however, he proceeded to backtrack on the reports, conceding that in fact (a) work may in fact have injured the worker‘s back, (b) the work contribution to the injury was probably still going on, and (c) she really couldn‘t do her old job.

That rumbling you heard about midday was my case collapsing.  I duly moved into ‘damage control‘ mode and a couple of hour‘s discussions later we resolved the matter on the best terms we could.

I was feeling pretty brain-fried after all that but I still managed a late night at the office with debatable productivity.

As last night‘s run had been enjoyable (and resulted in me sleeping well!) I went again tonight - four miles in 41 minutes. Then shave, shower and bed.

Ok, sleep is calling.  Hope it‘s a good day for you.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment