Tuesday 6 March 2012

Untitled, I'm afraid.

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this now in the hope it'll settle my head a little bit, and in case I don't get to it later this evening.

I had the first of the formal performance management meetings this afternoon.  All the criticisms that were made of my work were valid.  The worst is, they agreed it wasn't for want of effort or trying.  It's just that I'm not doing the work well, and certainly not to a level commensurate with the amount of experience that the calendar says I should have.

I don't know how to respond.  Part of me wants to go mediaeval on myself.  And the other part of me still believes it can make this work.  The latter seems to be in control, since I'm still here, feeling oddly peaceful and working on one of the files for tomorrow.

In a way this isn't a shock.  At law school I was definitely "El Desperato" on this taxonomy of law students and I never seemed to really feel right as a plaintiff lawyer either.

I don't really know what to make of this.

I know I can still make this work.  I know I can.

Press on.

2 comments:

  1. In the words of Winston Churchill...."Never, never, never give up." Hang in there, you can do this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks leelee! You‘re right too: as long as they‘re still giving me work and a place to do it, there‘s still opportunities! Sorry there‘s no comment on your blog at the moment, BTW - for some reason my phone won‘t bring up the comments function. Still, only one more day till you go on break... tick... tock... have a good day!

    ReplyDelete