Wednesday 14 March 2012

Trying to think...

Hi everyone,

A post from the phone again tonight. It‘s dreadfully late and I‘m ready to turn in.

It‘s been a quiet-ish day.  Court in the morning (I lost an argument on a costs point), and a couple of case reviews with my boss. The most sucessful ones in recent time, encouragingly! A department meeting over lunch, and then more file work in the afternoon.

I was late at the office again, chiefly tidying up things and settling a letter of advice. I got back here just after 11:00pm. Dinner, ironing and bed.

I see the International Criminal Court handed down its first conviction today. I know I should say something brilliant, but as everyone else will have an opinion (sound or not) I‘m disinclined to pollute the air with my two cents. For what it‘s worth, I am not a fan of the I.C.C., or of international criminal tribunals generally. They seem to have a nasty tendency to rely on little more than self-referential authority (see Prosecutor v Dusko Tadic), to have a “hamburger with the lot“ approach to indictments to ensure a conviction for something, and to do the work national courts, with established bars, prosecuting agencies and laws of evidence can already do perfectly well (cf Prosecutor v Refik Saric and R v Polyukhovich). My two cents worth.

Ok, bedtime!

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment