Friday 16 March 2012

I have a reputation!

Hi everyone,

Here I am again. Friday evening. I‘m on the tram back to the sharehouse at 8:18pm with tonight‘s dinner fixings from the supermarket in my lap.

It‘s been a good day on the whole. I did indeed have court this morning. The barrister I‘d briefed was one I hadn‘t used before, and by whom I was quite impressed. Shrewd, business-like, and happy to let me call the shots, which is essentially my job as the instructing solicitor. And, I was pleased to discover that I have a reputation with the opposing barrister, who has a legendary reputation as a tough negotiator. I was described with the phrase “I thought he was really nice, but he always turns out to be really mean [with settlement money]“. I was most pleased!

The matter settled within our instructions after the plaintiff had been manoeuvered into accepting about 25% of their initial offer. The afternoon was a detailed set of long conversations and also wrapping up the paperwork from the hearing.

I‘ve spent what feels like an obscene amount on food today, I‘m afraid. Because I was home so late last night, I didn‘t have time to prepare lunch for today and wound up buying it (tuna and coleslaw in Turkish bread). It being Friday in Lent, I couldn‘t use the pies and chicken at Friday night drinks as an ersatz dinner, hence the trip to the supermarket (dinner will be tuna potato salad with Tonys which is awesome).

No big plans for the weekend. I had a sweet text message from my little sister asking if I‘d like to go to Pakenham Show with her and her fellow on Saturday and stay at their place Saturday night. It‘s tempting, but I really do need to work and do a truckload of laundry. Still, I might try to catch a movie with the passes the firm gave me.

Anyway, tonight is Friday night, which means it‘s early bed night (hurray and I don‘t care what anyone thinks!). Something I surely look forward to!

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment