Saturday 17 March 2012

Saturday night tram

Hi everyone,

So here I am, waiting for a tram at 10:30 on a Saturday night.

It‘s been a quiet sort of day I guess. I stripped back my bedsheets this.morning and washed them. Hopefully they‘re dry when I get back to the Casa; they‘re the only set I have! Vacuumed my room as well, and opened up the windows to get some clean air in.

I needed some change to run the washing machine, so I went up to the 7/11 and bought a copy of the Weekend Australian.  In days not long gone by I would have devoured it from one end to the other, especially news and op-eds. I was kind of astonished to find that this time all I felt like doing was running my eyes over it. As I sort of half read the commentary pieces, I had the unpleasant sensation of several angry, whiny, hateful voices shouting at each other inside my head. No, I‘m not becoming a schizophrenic. It‘s just odd and I‘m not sure quite what to make of it.

The washing done, I headed for the office (surprising or what?). Not much to note, except that two of my colleagues were also burning the weekend oil. They headed off through the afternoon, so I had dinner at the office and did some more work, which brings me to now.

I had a ‘twinge‘ moment looking at facebook this evening. Joni had put up a couple of pictures of our little princesses enjoying popsicles. They look so big now! I know I‘ll be seeing them all soon. But that moment was kind of like being punched in the stomach. The information superhighway is great, and airmail and Fedex can shrink the miles to nothingness. But sometimes, you just really know what Geoffrey Blainey meant when he talked about “The Tyranny of Distance“.

Still, hopefully there‘ll be a window for skype tomorrow morning. Skype isn‘t the same as being there, but it‘s a damn sight better than nothing at all!

Stream of consciousness moment, but at times like these I do wonder what my grandmother - born in southern NSW in 1899 - would have made of skype, and email, and all these things. I‘m certain she could never have learned to use them. But there‘s no doubt in my mind she would have been fascinated by them.

Ok: nearly my stop.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment